Friday, 15 April 2011

Trip to Ostrava/learning to look

I have no idea how it happened but I got to join a bunch of students from my school who had prepared a drama performance for students of the town of Ostrava. I wasn't participating which I didn't mind. People didn't understand why I wanted to go, I didn't really know either. I only had 3 classes so skipping school didn't seem as a good reason to waste the whole day with a boring school trip. Besides, I had to wake up 2 hours earlier.
First of all, I love the Czech republic. Actually, Czech was the first language I learned to speak. When I was little I would introduce myself : Lucka Terezka Anicka Kristinka...the Czechoslovak.
Whatever the others say, I'm glad I went. I think I needed it. It was kind of strange how everything made me happy. It was all for free. I saw some very talented reciters and heard lots of lovely poems. They gave us loads of strawberry croissants that we tried to fill all our pockets with but there would be still some left. I walked with my friends through the old city centre, got my favourite sandwich, found probably the nicest cafe they had and got a cup of Irish coffee. Discovered an "Oxford bookshop" which sells literature in foreign languages and got a reprint of Little Women. We walked in an antique shop and oh my goodness, such a wonderful smell!
On the way home, all I did was stare out the window (I was lucky to get the window seat) while listening to fabulous Bon Iver. I so enjoyed looking out. It was really wet outside so everything seemed very green, almost like Ireland. I saw old brick houses with ladders leaning against the walls, adorable gardens, orchards, random storks in the middle of a field, chimneys smoking. Raindrops on my window made me feel thankful for my large thrift store cardigan that was keeping me warm. There were lakes, creeks, trees covered with ivy and mistletoe, mountains of course. These might sound as ordinary small things but I was thankful for every detail.(What some of the others saw was that they could have been already home, they had embarrassed themselves or that the ride wasn't fast enough. I haven't discovered yet the way to let other people look at things with your eyes so they can understand your point of view).It wasn't really about the things themselves, it was something more, something invisible. Sometimes I forget to notice the small things, sometimes I'm blind. But then when I can see, they make me happy and they're not small anymore. Reminds me of "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible the eyes"





No comments:

Post a Comment